Thursday, May 10, 2012

Night shift. OMFG

I love it. Night shift is by far the shift from heaven. While it can still be very busy at times I didn't feel quite so overwhelmed as I did on day shift. The different sort of busy is in fact true. You don't have all the distractions like on day shift but you rarely have time to sit down and just chat. People don't stop hurting just because it's night time. I gave pain meds ALL NIGHT LONG along with Benadryl for itching q4. Patients wants snacks all night long. I really just wanted to say "go to sleep." Some of them did sleep for a moment but a few did not. I just don't know how you can stay up all night and stay up all day too. You wonder why your body is shot and worn out. You haven't slept in 24 hours. O_O.

There aren't nearly as many meds as on day shift. I had 2200 meds, one 0300 antibiotic and then I was done until 6am. I'm being very serious. I've never had that much down time between meds. I didn't know what to do with myself. Giving prns kept me busy but then those are q4 or 46 so I didn't have to give them quite as often.

The staff worked great together. I learned a lot and at the end of the shift I was really glad that I had chosen to go night shift. I know things will not always be like this, but for once I can say "I had an awesome night at work!!!!"

Go night shift!!

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment