Saturday, August 14, 2010

A New Semester. A New Beginning

On August 16th I will be embarking on my 3rd semester of nursing school. I'm both excited and terrified because I don't know what's coming my way. I don't like surprises when it comes to nursing school. It makes me nervous when I don't know what's going to happen. I get butterflies in my stomach, a mild headache and spurts of jitters that make me want to vomit. This is what nursing school has done to me. It has made me a nervous wreck. Before I started nursing school I wasn't AS scared to go to classes. Sure, human anatomy was tough and those lab exams used to scare the crap out of me, but then I didn't have a teacher looking over my shoulder waiting for me to fail like in nursing school.

Perhaps this is a tactic that professors are using these days. Rather than let a student try to apply what they are learning, they linger over you, bombard you with questions, make you more nervous than you already are and then go 'ah ha. I knew you would screw up!' At least that's how I felt last semester. I tried my best and I almost always fell short. I passed though and I managed to impress my second clinical instructor. She realized that I was shy, but that I never refused to do anything that was asked of me. I took initiative, I asked questions when I didn't know something. She expected me to know my skills, but she didn't make me feel stupid because I wasn't bouncing off the wall with confidence. I can say that I am more confident in myself now than I was last semester so I did learn something and that was to not let other people walk all over me.

This year my clinical will be med-surg, pediatrics, OB, and community health. XD I'm excited about it. Not so excited about med-surg, but then after nursing school I don't want to do med-surg anymore (although I know that's the first stepping stone to doing what I really want to do). What that thing is I've no idea, but I'm sure I'll figure it out during this last year of college.

Last year of college...that sounds AWESOME! I can't wait to graduate, to become a nurse and start working. ^_^ You've no idea how much I've been through. From broken down cars, to riding the bus to school, from stressing out about speeches to crying because I thought I would fail Human A&P I. College as been nothing but up and down, tears and triumphs. I can not wait until it's over, but I will miss the people I've met throughout.

Graduating Class of 2011. Here I come!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment